[bestbits] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Fadi Chehadé: Affirmation of Commitments needs to become contract between 'ICANN and you'

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at gp-digital.org
Thu Oct 17 20:40:02 EDT 2013

I sat in the same meeting in Delhi and here's my additional comments

Fadi said:
Trust in the internet has been "punctured" by recent events
To rebuild a safe and secure internet would require a new form of multi stakeholder governance
No one country  should have disproportionate power and the internet no longer belongs to  the US/the West
The internet needs co-operation more than governance
For the internet to work all parties need to work together on an equal footing – governments, business, CS and scientists
He spoke about needing to find a place to discuss "orphan" issues and that decision making could be multi-stakeholder if new methods of working were used. (By orphan issues he seemed to mean net neutrality, IP liability etc but this was not clear)

The Indian Communications Minister Sibal then said inter-governmentalism would not work (quoting climate change negotiations) and that
Cyberspace requires a new form of administration in which not just governments were stakeholders
And that there was a need to find a way of establishing consensus based multi-stakeholderism and a reformed ICANN central to that.

However Indian officials who spoke later ,including Deputy National Security Advisor Sandhu, talked about a multi-lateral, transparent and democratic form of governance, or balancing multi stakeholderism with multi lateralism

So some confusion there.

I did not have a sense, born out in the subsequent Q&A that Fadi has any idea what the new legal basis for ICANN might be (a Swiss NGO?) or that he has any concrete ideas for a new structure of governance. I'd say he has lit the blue touch paper and is waiting to see what blows up.  But he emphasised, after questions,  that President Rouseff is also looking for a multi-stakeholder solution and not an inter governmental, UN route to solve the problem.  This was repeated throughout the day.

So the way is open for new ideas to put on the table.  I asked him if a strengthened IGF could be part of the overall reform of the environment and he agreed though did not elaborate except to say that he did not envisage creating new institutions.  Some people speculated that he saw ICANN as having a role in taking on the "orphan" issues.

Andrew Puddephatt, Director          Global Partners Digital
Development House, 56-64 Leonard St, EC2A 4LT, UK
Office 44 (0)207 549 0350
Mobile: +44 (0)771 339 9597
andrew at g<mailto:andrew at global-partners.co.uk>p-digital.org                  www.global-partners.co.uk<http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>