[bestbits] IG on the 24th HRC session

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 5 07:51:57 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 07:35 PM, Valeria Betancourt wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A brief response from Bytes for All, Pakistan and APC on the
> intervention by Pakistan at the HRC24.
> http://www.apc.org/en/node/18573

Hi Valeria

You rightly observed in your earlier email that this is the first time a
set of countries have raised the NSA surveillance issue in the HRC. (And
APC has long advocated that HRC is the right place for many if not most
global IG issues.) In the circumstances, such a harsh response to the
concerned statement against NSA snooping is quite surprising.

Well, as an aside, one can be opportunistic  on the occasion of such
pious statements to point towards the domestic HR record of the
complaining countries. Fair enough... (Although we fail to say such
things when US makes pious statement in favour of multistakeholderism,
transparency etc, not immediately pointing to TPP, ACTA, and other
venues of global IG in which US is such a key player, and their entire
lack of transparency or MSism. We should just be consistent. At Baku,
for instance, several civil society actors sat on numerous panels where
US mouthed things about MSism, transparency etc, without murmuring a
word about US' record in other IG spaces, and at home. Why this partial
treatment to the US?).

What I find quite surprising is the concern expressed in the APC
statement against the call for "/development of an international
mechanism in the context of ‘Enhanced cooperation’ within the WSIS Tunis
Agenda can be a concrete way forward/", when APC had joined others to
roundly applaud President of Brazil's recent UN statement which inter
alia calls for "establishment of a civilian multilateral framework for
the governance and use of the Internet".

If there is any essential difference between the two calls, I missed it,
and am happy to be enlightened.

The APC statement decries - "The imposition of a new global internet
policy framework determined and agreed by governments – and therefore
being a top down and central mechanism – contradicts the bottom-up
multi-stakeholder principles of policy making, as well as the end to end
principles of internet architecture that are essential to a free and
open internet. "

Well, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a framework
determined and agreed by governments.... Whereas, all proposals for a
new global IG framework do seem to come with much much more
participative avenues then were available when UDHR came about....

APC statement says " creating a new UN body to focus on internet policy
will not be sustainable, or effective. The internet touches on so many
issues that no single policy space could ever effectively deal with them
all."

Wonder then what is  the logic of creating a single policy-participation
space (which btw now wants to be much more than that) for global IG in
the form of IGF..... How is it that the logic that works for creating an
integral single Internet policy space like the IGF fails for other
levels of Internet policy making processes... I could not understand
this. Would like a clarification. Also, any effort to develop a new
Internet policy space is to look at issues that do not have a home at
present (clearly recognised in the Tunis agenda and the recent BestBits
statement on EC) and to coordinated Internet-relevant work of other
agencies. No one is proposing that any issue that but touches the
Internet (today, most issues do) should be withdrawn from all relevant
agencies and given to the proposed new body. This is a complete mis-
representation of any such proposal from any developing country.

And then, the recommendation is "Bytes for All, Pakistan and APC believe
that a distributed governance with concrete and effective
multi-stakeholder mechanisms of participation in decision making is a
way with great potential for strengthening an open and free internet."

This recommendation will be useful if we knew what exactly is the
referred distributed governance system. And before we get on to this
discussion can we please agree to discuss technical/ logical governance
issues (ICANN plus system) as different from larger social, economic,
political and cultural public policy issues, as was agreed by the
BestBits statement on Enhanced Cooperation to which APC signed....

I really have nothing to say about the distributed systems of technical
governance - meaning ICANN plus system. Lets accept it as it is. Lets
talk about other global IG issues, the present HRC statement also being
in such a regard.

My main question in that respect is; what does APC/ Bytes consider as a
distributed governance system in terms of these larger public policy
issues pertaining to the global governance of the Internet? Is APC
proposing a new system(s) of this kind - in which case we will like to
know what does it look like?

Or is APC pointing to some existing systems? Is is about the OECD, TPP,
ACTA, Cyberspace conference series, etc, kind of global IG systems that
it calls as a distributed system? If not, which ones?

If we knew more about the preferred model of distributed governance of
the Internet recommended by APC/Bytes, we will be able to discuss it
here. (But, no ICANN here please, we already agreed to agree on that
system, as it is, and for the tasks it accomplishes.)

Thanks.

parminder