[bestbits] OPED: Brazil: the New Internet Freedom Champion?

Chinmayi Arun chinmayiarun at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 10:24:38 EDT 2013

> We can't overlook that the United States is also a member of the Freedom
> Online Coalition.  Not to mention say Tunisia, which is ranked a full point
> lower than India in the Freedom House survey.  Given that the "Internet
> freedom" slogan has suffered a serious blow from the NSA revelations, it is
> quite debatable what was the "wrong direction" to take in opposition to the
> status-quoist position on Internet governance taken by the FOC states.

I could not agree more. Even the much-vilified ITU treaty did not really
undermine Internet freedom (Article 1.1 (a) says “These Regulations do not
address the content-related aspects of telecommunications”) in the end.

It appears from her speech that President Rousseff does want UN oversight
of countries with respect to the Internet. Given that her concern seems to
be that there should be some accountability with respect to human rights, I
sympathise. The Indian government seems to be in I-told-you-so mode now,
pointing out quite correctly that while everybody else was being told off
for human rights violations, the countries telling them off were also
committing huge violations. While I certainly do not subscribe to the idea
that one nation's human rights violations somehow justify another's (I
still would not support the resolution that India presented to the UN last
year), I can see why Brazil and India are unwilling to accept do-nothing as
the best model.

I have never been comfortable with thinking about issues purely in terms of
who is on which side. This was my discomfort with the ITRs debates - that
many were stepping away from the actual text and merely pointing out who
was signing as an argument for not signing. Isn't it better to just discuss
the specifics of treaties and organisations and determine on that basis
whether it is necessary, helpful or terrible to subscribe to them?

Best,
Chinmayi