[bestbits] OPED: Brazil: the New Internet Freedom Champion?

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Oct 16 08:29:23 EDT 2013

Grande Shahzad,

Behind the misinformed headlines on this: no big deal and I was taken a
bit by surprise as I understand they should have done this a while ago.

Serpro, the state company in charge of data processing and data
transmission for all federal government services, hosts most federal
e-gov services in Brazil. This is a large company which, among other
activities, led the deployment of free and open source software systems
in e-gov here. That our adoption of FOSS was not as extensive as we
expected is not the fault of Serpro.

They are preparing to replace all gov email systems with a large secure
email service entirely based on FOSS. This will mean, among other
things, dropping all Microsoft Exchange contracts several gov agencies
have been using, and saving millions in licensing. The system of course
will be encrypted (Serpro is one of the authorized e-certificate issuers
for the Brazilian Public Key Infrastructure system).

As I said, no big deal -- except that the system will be indeed a big
one due to our size, and one of the challenges in my view is training of
public servants in the use of encrypted email.

As to the gov "taking control of all comm channels", and again behind
the misinformed headlines: there is another state company, Telebras,
running fiber throughout Brazil and associating itself with
international partners in launching sub cables to Europe, Africa and
Asia, in order to reduce dependency on international Internet traffic
going through the USA (nearly 90% of our BR-Europe traffic goes through
Uncle Sam now, for example), as well as launching a satellite (currently
even our military have to use foreign-owned satellites) jointly
developed by Telebras and Embraer. Telebras is central to the National
Broadband Plan (PNBL) and is suffering from lack of funds -- in part due
to pressure from the "quintet" of transnational telcos who control
nearly all the backbones in Brazil (TIM, Telefónica, GVT/Vivendi,
Oi/Portugal Telecom, Claro). The Telebras fiber backbone has two
objectives: providing points of presence in the municipalities which the
"market" (the quintet) is not interested in (we have 5.565
municipalities), and provide secure communications infrastructure for
gov services.

Interesting times indeed! :)

fraternal regards

--c.a.