[bestbits] [governance] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Oct 11 06:03:15 EDT 2013

On 10/10/13 23:32, Evan Greer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org
> <mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org>> wrote:
>> Obvious challenges: the fact that civil society organising structures
>> have crumbled since then, the lack of funding, the short time scale
>> to organise...
>>
>> Could FFTF/IDL join us in Bali, in person or remotely? It is really
>> important for the rest of us to connect with your community, I feel.
> I don't think that we can send someone to Bali but we'd be happy to
> join a session remotely or talk ideas / strategy anytime. Is there a
> central location where we can get info or can someone keep us in the loop?

Firstly sorry for the typos in my original reply which was sent by
phone.  Since you're on the main Best Bits mailing list that's already
the main central location for info, though feel free also to contact the
interim steering committee at any time (steering at lists.bestbits.net),
and during 19-20 October we will be streaming our Bali meeting at
http://bestbits.net/streaming/ (though I still have to work out a way to
authenticate viewers and/or to close the stream during sensitive
discussions).

Though some feedback has been given already, we should continue to
discuss (here and in Bali) the possibility of a civil society side event
as more details of the Brazil event come out.  I am a firm believer in
the idea that the stakeholder groups can and should hold their own
meetings and that this should be seen as complementary to the official
multi-stakeholder proceedings, rather than competing with or subverting
them.  So I wouldn't like to rule out at the least a Best Bits side
event, or perhaps (which is closer to what you had in mind) a broader
one that could include end-user communities.  Let's see how things come
together.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.