Multi-Equal Stakeholderism (was Re: [bestbits] Joint civil society endorsements for London meeting of High-Level Panel)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Nov 30 11:07:51 EST 2013

Hi,

I would argue that the IETF is most definitely multi stakeholder as all stakeholders may/can/do participate and can caucus as they please or not as their stakeholder groups, however they may conceive of these groups.

I do not know where the requirement originated for the standard stakeholder groups defined unilaterally by governments to dictate the mandatory structure of all Ig groups.  I do not even agree that any specific stakeholder group needs to participate in an organization, as long as any stakeholder can participate.

I tend to look for multi stakeholder participation forms of governance. I do not argue for multi-stakeholdergroupism.

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>On 30 Nov 2013, at 9:31 pm, McTim <mctimconsulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, if someone could guide me to a space where I can find out more
>about "multi-equal-stakeholderism" and its origins, I'd be grateful -
>first time I hear about this.
>>
>> This is a very good question.  I don't know much about non-Internet-y
>multi-equal-ness, but I think the purest form of multi-equal
>stakeholderism in IG can be found in some of the RIR PDPs and the IETF
>processes.
>
>It's an odd choice of example, since many would say the IETF is not
>multi-stakeholder all, since it does not recognise stakeholder groups.
>Where multi-equal stakeholderism is usually used specifically in
>reference to organisations that do recognise stakeholder groups, to
>indicate that they should be equal to one another in process terms.
>This distinguishes it from forms of multi-stakeholderism like at the
>OECD and purportedly at the ITU, that don't recognise equality between
>the stakeholders.  So it's an attempt to refine the term
>multi-stakeholderism.  I have to say, I don't really like the term
>though.
>
>--
>Dr Jeremy Malcolm
>Senior Policy Officer
>Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers
>Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
>Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
>Malaysia
>Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
>Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
>hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone
>
>@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org |
>www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
>
>Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
>necessary.
>
>WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
>recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
>instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.

Avri Doria