[bestbits] Joint civil society endorsements for London meeting of High-Level Panel

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Fri Nov 29 07:08:05 EST 2013

Dear all,

The two nominees have my full support, but again, I have considerable
issues with the letter in which their nomination is supposed to be shared
with ICANN - in fact so much so that I was wondering whether this was
written in jest, to see if someone would pick up on these issues?

In any case, just in case it wasn't in jest: I do not remember anyone ever
claiming that the panel was a 1net panel. It was very clear that it emerged
out of ICANN, and though some who are involved in 1net might have been
consulted on it to a greater extent than others, that doesn't change this
fundamental fact. The letter thus confuses issues, and by doing so, is
unnecessarily antagonistic. More importantly, it therefore also gives the
panel a weight that not all on this list (and on the IGC list, as far as I
could see) feel it deserves - in fact, some are quite clear it does not,
and the panel thus should not be sanctified in ways that have not been
agreed on.

There are also a few strange terms being used in the letter. As far as I
know, the panel was never named the "CEO's High Level Panel". Also, if
someone could guide me to a space where I can find out more about
"multi-equal-stakeholderism" and its origins, I'd be grateful - first time
I hear about this.

In its current form, I find it quite unacceptable to send this.

My 2 paise,
Anja

On 29 November 2013 10:52, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

>  On 29/11/13 13:18, Adam Peake wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I have a concern.  But first could you please explain who was involved in the selection process, who from which organizations, what criteria considered, who were the candidates considered.
>
> My experience of trying to co-coordinate CS contributions to IG topics for a couple of years during the Tunis phase of WSIS and later involvement with the first couple of years of IGF, this just doesn't sit well with me.
>

> I will address this in the old thread (Re: [bestbits] Formation of a joint
> steering Committee - as received).  This thread is not for process
> concerns, just for comments on the two names.
>

> --
>

> *Dr Jeremy Malcolm Senior Policy Officer Consumers International | the
> global campaigning voice for consumers*
> Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub
> | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone
>
> @Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org |
> www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>.
> Don't print this email unless necessary.
>
> *WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
> recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
> instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.

Dr. Anja Kovacs
The Internet Democracy Project

+91 9899028053 | @anjakovacs