[bestbits] Formation of a joint steering Committee - as received

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Nov 25 13:45:52 EST 2013

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> First, I've suggested that the joint steering committee be termed a
> joint nomination committee or nomcom, instead - because that's what
> it is.

My understanding of the NomCom proposal was that this "joint steering
committee" would _organize_ a NomCom, in the sense of coordinating the
definition of the selection task for this NomCom, coordinating a broad
call for volunteers across all the various civil society networks,
coordinating execution of the random selection process for the voting
members of the NomCom, coordinating the appointment of a non-voting
chair, and coordinating key transparency processes such as e.g.
disclosure of selection criteria etc.

In my opinion, we really, really should definitely not create a more or
less self appointed cabal and then call that a "nomcom".

(Full disclosure: In my role of co-coordinator of IGC, I currently seem
to be part of this group that I've just characterized as a "more or
less self appointed cabal". I agree that there is a need to have some
kind of team to coordinate across civil society networks, whatever it
might get called. But I think it very inappropriate for this kind of
group to grab the power to make all the important appointment decisions
for civil society representatives.)

Greetings,
Norbert