process Re: [bestbits] [Meeting Report]: friday meeting with fadi et all

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Nov 3 02:24:55 EST 2013

On Thursday 31 October 2013 10:14 PM, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:

> I think the precise position is that Best Bits is a platform that
> enables action/collaboration.  As a platform it therefore does not
> sign letters  in its own right – a letter goes from the organisations
> willing to sign it directly not BB itself.  It’s an important
> distinction and one we need to be careful about.

I saw an apparent direct role of Bestbits (BB) steering committee with
regard to the most recent statement developed here, which does not fit
with the above 'platform' nature of BB.

One also knows that recently a statement that has wide acceptability and
a little opposition (which opposition was also mostly not substantive
and only to the extent of need to postpone the issuing of the statement)
was refused by the steering committee to be hosted on the BB platform,
with no clear reasons given thereof.

I also know that once the BB platform has been employed, the concerned
statements often get mentioned as BB statements, including by steering
committee members.. I also know that outside institutions that receive
these statements, and other outside actors like the press and so on,
refer to most of not all of these statements as BB statements.

And with the very high profile that BB is increasingly building as the
primary civil society group in this area (to a good extent at the cost
of IGC, although in the present narrative I will stay neutral in terms
of any value judgements on this shift) provides a great amount of new
'powers' like being the contact person to connect with other powerful
groups, sending reps to various processes etc.... And increasingly such
'powers' come to the custodians of the BB group. (BTW, I will like to
know from the BB steering committee whether any such contacts were made
with them at the Bali IGF, like to meet different 'other groups', send
reps, etc, and if so, how did they respond to it).

Basically, what I am saying here is that the processes around the BB
group, need to be taken seriously, and should be very transparent,
responsive and accountable. Sometimes by giving 'neutral' and 'no
specific power' kind of self descriptions, like that of being 'only a
platform', one can escape such formal requirements expected from those
who manage the concerned processes.

I think that BB group is a CS coalition  (I see the term still being
used by a few steering committee members right now on this elist) and
accordingly should follow very high standards of processes of
custodian-ship or trusteeship for the concerned persons/ organisations.
Most decision making should be done by the larger coalition by a process
set up, as appropriate,  for that purpose.

While BB employ some 'new age' flexible processes, which could be  a
very useful thing - the term 'platform' should not be used (not that
anyone right now is using it in this way) to escape responsibility which
comes with managing positions and roles of power.

In the network age, we all know how custodians of 'platforms' - for
social networking, knowledge/ information listing and sharing, and so on
- do increasingly mis use their powers, while insisting that they really
have no power and are merely process managers of 'neutral platforms'. We
have to remain very vary that such a problematic phenomenon - kind of
endemic to network age power structures - does not become a part of
civil society arrangements.

Power is best recognised where it exists, rather that deny it. Such
recognition makes it much easier to deal with power, rather than its
invisiblisation.

I prefer that we recognise the coalition/ network nature of BB group,
and accordingly are also mindful of the power inherent in custodianship
of its various processes - and accordingly develop all the necessary and
appropriate processes to manage it.

We can develop conditions of membership of this coalition/ network,
which can be of belonging to civil society organisations with open
statement of interest, objectives, activities and funding, and of
individuals, who come with civil society background and credentials.
And then we can develop processes of decision making that are
members-driven.

parminder