[bestbits] Fwd: Info on Nnenna Nwakanma

Nnenna Nwakanma nnenna75 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:30:06 EST 2013

1. Regular contributor to civil society networks including the IGC

I have been on the IGC before we wrote the Charter and  has served in some
IGC instances: Drafting Charter, Appeals team, rep. I contribute to the
Best Bits Platform, and the Africa CS list on IG. I wrote the concept note
for the Africa Internet Governance Forum and went to see the African
highest authorities with it. I still volunteer in many of the AfIGF work

2. Consultative style with members of civil society networks including the
IGC

I consult with IG networks via lists, and social media. I consult in
English and French. I read a bit of Spanish.

3. Knowledge of/ previous experience with IGF, including remote
participation

I have remotely participated via hubs for 2 IGF editions and physically in
Nairobi, Baku and Bali. I also was the remote moderator for  IGC workshop
in the just ended  Bali IGF.

4. Knowledge of the UN system

Been around since prepcom 2 of the Geneva phase till now. Currently part of
the Informal Expert Group (IEG) on Internet Policy of ITU. I did the WCIT
in Dubai and WTPF in Geneva remotely. I've worked closely with the UN
Economic Commission for Africa in AfIGF

5. Able to communicate the diverse range of issues, views and perspectives
held by civil society.

Not an easy task and has to be learned every time. But going by  opening
Ceremony speech on behalf of Civil Society  in Bali, with  just about 24
hours to consult, it appeared many CS folks saw their issues ably
represented. I requested input from everybody and got 50+ emails and I
needed to summarize that in  less than 6 minutes. I did share the general
outline of the speech ahead of time, though.

6.Able to devote the time, resources and effort necessary to contribute
constructively to MAG deliberations

Despite being asked every year, I have always avoided the MAG till now.
Good news is that I'm now the Africa Regional Coordinator for the World
Wide Web Foundation and I have the support of the Foundation. Meaning my
time in the MAG is known by my employer. It makes things easier

7. Willing and able to report and update civil society networks including
the IGC on issues and progress

I have a tendency to summarize and number issues, even in emails.  So
feedbacks are going to be short and precise. I've quit doing attached
files, I just point to URLs
Nnenna