[bestbits] Re: Transparency issue: private list with open archives

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Nov 1 22:10:27 EDT 2013

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 07:04 MYT, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> Understanding the strongly-held differences of opinion on the issue of public and private lists, we would like to propose a compromise by moving sensitive discussions to the "private at lists.bestbits.net" list, but opening up the archives of that list.  The interim steering committee would use our best efforts to limit subscribers to civil society.
>
> This accords with the understanding that was broadly reached at the meeting in Bali (admittedly, it was not a formal decision) that some discussions about a civil society strategy could take place on a list that was not open to governments or corporations, just as those constituencies have meetings to decide their own approach to issues.
>
> As with discussions on the ec at lists.bestbits.net, we will make a point of reporting back to the main list.  This would include any calls for action and any documents produced.  In any case, it would remain open to anyone to share strategies on the main open list or discuss what they want.

Just as I am boarding a flight, a quick follow-up to reiterate that this is just a proposal, and Deborah or someone else from the interim steering committee may follow up while I'm away with some other options.  I was not intending this to be read as a definitive proclamation.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.