[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:09:36 EST 2013

First, I wish to clarify my understanding of BB.

Best Bits (BB) = (interim) Steering Committee (iSC) + Discussion List (DL)

There is no decision-making mechanism other than what the iSC
self-appointed members agree on among themselves.
Any decision that comes out of BB is actually the decision of
self-appointed few that make up the iSC.
There's no membership (other than the iSC membership.) Also referred to as
the main list, the DL is just that, a list for people to discuss which may
be tapped into for drafting or editing statements plus any other business
the iSC decide it is okay to handle outside its closed circle.

So far, I have just described the structure at BB, as reflected through
what has transpired so far. So if any of the above is inaccurate, please
correct me.

All people (but one that I'm not sure of) being nominated here are on the
IGC list. Some of them are already nominated there, too (the others could
have been, if they wanted to.) If you recognize that BB as a whole doesn't
yet have a proper decision-making mechanism, then I suggest to ask IGC
NomCom to merge BB nominees to theirs (I think you Jeremy have suggested
earlier that this could be an option, and I would encourage for that as a
better interim solution.) That wouldn't put on hold any BB urgent
substantive business. The membership of the IGC NomCom is already known:
are there any nominee here who feel any member of the NomCom would be
hostile against them or their candidacy? If so, I think the issue should be
raised to IGC and addressed (if necessary by replacement... there was a
pool of 25 candidates for the NomCom.)

Doing otherwise would signal that BB (i.e. its iSC)  just don't want the
IGC NomCom to meddle in the list of BB nominees, even based on clearly
defined and tested processes and criteria. And that your main purpose not
doing that is to make sure whatever IGC NomCom decides, BB candidates will
make it to the UN "black box" anyway (as you refer to it, on which
designation I do not disagree)?

If that's the case, then I suggest forwarding BB slate directly to the IGF
Secretariat, with an explanation of the nomination process, procedures,
etc. (as you also suggested.) Because I am afraid adding BB slate to IGC's
and forwarding them together to the IGF Sec may be confusing and even
misleading (I mean what's the point forwarding them together if we wanted
so badly the two processes separated, despite the un-readiness of one of
them?) If you don't want IGC to interfere in BB nomination process, or to
have a say whatsoever on it, then I personally think it would be fair to
just forward BB nominees directly and separately, like other CS groupings
may be doing... following to the end the logic BB would have adopted.

Finally, just a last comment and cautionary note. If BB were to go on like
this (without clear membership and decision-making mechanism beyond the
iSC), I am afraid it won't take long for BB to be portrayed as a
self-serving group and to be (mis-) perceived by some people as a power
grab exercise (just as some of us may have (mis-) perceived the I* orgs to
engage in such lately.) Not only this is not better (in terms of
decision-making processes, openness/inclusiveness), it is not even close to
ICANN we like to criticize. We know and can do better.
Cheers,

mawaki