[bestbits] Re: MAG nomination process via Best Bits

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Nov 14 03:00:11 EST 2013

On 12/11/13 11:32, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Otherwise, Best Bits has also been developing a draft process for
> nominating representatives to external groups, which may suit those
> who aren't primarily associated with the other civil society groups or
> networks.  The process is still open for discussion on the procedure
> wiki at http://bestbits.net/wiki/main/procedures/.  The process, which
> is very loose compared to the IGC's more formal procedure, simply
> provides as follows:
>
>   * The steering committee shall call for expressions of interest on
>     the main list.
>   * Selection criteria will be decided on a case-by-case basis and
>     will be shared when the steering committee publicises the call,
>     but at a very minimum geographical diversity (if not balance) and
>     gender balance should be taken into account.
>   * The steering committee will select a proposed slate of nominees,
>     taking into account those who expressed interest.
>   * The proposed nominees will be posted back to the main list and
>     approved by consensus.

Further to the above, here are some criteria based on a set previously
used by the IGC, with point six broadened slightly (not everyone on the
interim steering group has given input into these, but nobody has
objected so far either):

  * Must be active civil society participants
  * Should be at least 2 from each of the 5 geographical regions if possible
  * Should attempt to achieve gender balance
  * Should include as much diversity as possible; e.g. for skill and
    knowledge set, age, disability, etc.
  * Should include people who have shown commitment to keeping CS
    updated on developments
  * Should be people who have shown some ability in advocacy with
    governments and the private sector in order to help achieve CS positions

So far there has been one nomination received to the
steering at lists.bestbits.net list.  If you prefer to send your nomination
to the main list, please feel free to do that instead or also.

As to the suggestion that we collaborate with the IGC on a slate of
nominees, there seems to be support for this.  So far the IGC has
selected its nomcom, and its slate of candidates will be selected by
next Wednesday from nominations received.  There may also be nominations
coming from other organisations or networks (APC, Diplo, IRP).

Whilst it is different to actually merge the lists of nominees from each
civil society group or network, because the processes are quite
different, we can explore whether it is possible to at least send the
nominations together, while separating the lists of nominees and
explaining the different nomination processes.

This would be a modest step towards the longer-term goal of a unified
civil society nominating committee.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.