[bestbits] Re: [governance] my views and short report -- UNWGEC

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Nov 13 00:07:53 EST 2013

On 13/11/13 08:34, Carolina Rossini wrote:
> I think we need a better way to list working topics and moving work
> based on who wants to help with what
> should best bits have a wiki for work by working groups
> formed spontaneously based on what people want to work together on?

There already is a wiki and the ability to create new sub-wikis at will,
though it needs a lot more work (both content, and also to make it
easier to use, eg. enabling the visual editor).  It is at
http://bestbits.net/wiki/main/, and is also linked under "Documents" on
the main Best Bits website.  Currently anyone can create and edit
content there without permission (if abuse becomes a problem, we will
address it).  Meanwhile as JFC Morfin has been reminding us he has also
set up an independent wiki about the summit.

> i feel a lot get lost in the list and people get distracted over
> procedural issues and some times too many contributions - which are
> good - but some times have the effect of burying the working proposals

Agreed.

> What Carlos proposes demands a lot of work and focus, and since it is
> hard to set calls, we need to find ways to work asynchronously
> This idea would also work for the working-groups formed at the Best
> Bits mtg
> just a thought ...since this list is a high-traffic list and we could
> rethink what needs a working space for work and follow-ups and what
> actually needs to circulate/be discussed in the list

As a first step, I have already committed to putting together a
workplan, which pulls together the work streams from the Bali meeting,
plus what is needed for the Brazil summit and 1net.  Sorry for my delay
in doing that, being really overstretched with various other projects.
It will help me if those who have been working on such items but who
haven't been reporting back, could do so, so that I can map what is
going on.

I would also like to make something more visual, which could perhaps be
based on the "Visualising the playing field" timeline by Deborah, Lea
and Joana (which we have all agreed was excellent).  An impediment to
this for now is that there is no funding to support this, but I'm
working on that also.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.