[bestbits] Re: [governance] my views and short report -- UNWGEC

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 19:34:45 EST 2013

hi all
I think we need a better way to list working topics and moving work based
on who wants to help with what
should best bits have a wiki for work by working groups
formed spontaneously based on what people want to work together on?
i feel a lot get lost in the list and people get distracted over procedural
issues and some times too many contributions - which are good - but some
times have the effect of burying the working proposals
within the Wikimedia groups, this "task forces" work well...
one examples among many from that community is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Wikipedia:WikiProject_Council of course the goal is different, but much is
how we fix our knowledge and develop work together in a transparent
platform, that also allows debate and a picture of the history of it)
What Carlos proposes demands a lot of work and focus, and since it is hard
to set calls, we need to find ways to work asynchronously
This idea would also work for the working-groups formed at the Best Bits mtg
just a thought ...since this list is a high-traffic list and we could
rethink what needs a working space for work and follow-ups and what
actually needs to circulate/be discussed in the list

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Joy for sharing your summary with us. This is very useful. I
> would invite all IGC subscribers to read Carlos, Joy and Avri's posts of
> the WGEC as it is very useful.
>
> The #WGEC on Twitter that was used during the meeting will also show the
> trail of discussions and thoughts. Joy I am wondering about the possibility
> of a Webinar where those of you who attended the WGEC can form a Panel
> either through a Webinar or a Google Hangout where you can talk about the
> recent WGEC meeting and take questions from us.
>
> If someone from the IGC would like to volunteer to look into this, it
> would be useful.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Sala
>

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM, joy <joy at apc.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carlos - and adding a link to a blog post with a more general
>> note on the summary of the meeting: http://www.apc.org/en/node/18717/
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Joy Liddicoat
>>
>> On 12/11/2013 2:42 a.m., Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>> > Dear people,
>> >
>> > Here are my *personal* views and a short report as a participant in the
>> > Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation (UNWGEC) -- its second meeting
>> > just happened in Geneva (6-8 of November). It just follows the latest
>> > edition of the UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF) held last October in
>> > Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.
>> >
>> > In the discussion of enhanced cooperation among nations for the
>> > advancement of the information society and knowledge (and with this
>> > phrase I try to synthesize my view of the subject), the IGF is always
>> > taken into account, both to highlight its (relative) relevance and to
>> > suggest the way forward for international governance of the Internet.
>> >
>> > Several governments also insist that the 2005 Tunis Agenda (attached in
>> > PDF), a non-binding commitment among governments, should not be changed
>> > -- some even hail the Agenda as a "bible" to be followed, even if it has
>> > not been followed by some of the very governments which view it as such,
>> > and even if the dynamics of rapid worldwide development of the Internet
>> > requires periodic revisions.
>> >
>> > The Tunis Agenda contains a lengthy specification of the mandate the IGF
>> > should follow, as described in its paragraph 72:
>> >
>> > ------
>> > 72.   We ask the UN Secretary-General, in an open and inclusive process,
>> > to convene, by the second quarter of 2006, a meeting of the new forum
>> > for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue—called the Internet Governance
>> > Forum (IGF). The mandate of the Forum is to:
>> >
>> > a) Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet
>> > governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security,
>> > stability and development of the Internet.
>> >
>> > b) Facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different
>> > cross-cutting international public policies regarding the Internet and
>> > discuss issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing body.

> [...]

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/