[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun May 12 12:22:59 EDT 2013

Hi Gene,

A few additional comments.

I have increasing concerns about the emerging movement (and related CS/BB?
endorsement) of Multistakeholderism as the dominant modality for Internet
Governance broadly understood. I've outlined my concerns in a couple of
blogposts which some of you would have already seen, so I won't go into
those arguments further except to say that the specific nature and
definition of MSism is not clear to me and thus the endorsement of this as
in the statement is in some sense to give a blank cheque to those currently
promoting MSism for whatever purpose, as well as to those who are most
enabled by current MS processes.  I think, as a matter of urgency CS/BB
needs to clarify precisely what is meant by MS/MSism in the CS/BB context
and indicate that this is what is being endorsed rather than some other --
dare I say -- "status quo" definition.  I've indicated in one of my
aforementioned blogposts
<http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/in-defense-of-multistakeholder-pro
cesses/>  what I think should be our definition for Multistakeholder
processes but I'm sure that this would/could/should be further refined by
discussion within CS/BB.

Further, as I outlined in another blogpost
<https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/multistakeholderism-vs-democracy-
my-adventures-in-stakeholderland/>  the matter of how stakeholders are
defined/self-defined, the barriers/rules for participation/inclusion and so
on remain extremely murky and subject I believe to considerable abuse
particularly when seen as being such a fundamental element in highly
significant decision making processes. Again until this is clarified and
some structures of formalization, accountability and transparency are put
into place I would strongly urge CS/BB to reserve its endorsement.

While I fully agree with the concerns/initiatives with respect to "opening"
up ITU processes particularly for CS, I have some concerns when this seems
to be the dominant priority by those initiating the statement.  As I`ve
argued in other contexts
<http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/open-data-empowering-the-empowered
-or-effective-data-use-for-everyone/>  discussions around "opening", while
on the surface appearing from a CS perspective to be self-evidently aligned
with traditional CS norms of democratic practice and social justice; in
fact, unless they are accompanied by equal calls for a broad base of
inclusion including significant measures to support such inclusion result in
a process of further empowering the already empowered (those who are in a
position to use such openness in their own interests because of the
availability of the human and financial resources to support the use
of/derive benefits from such an "opening") .

With respect to a  "development agenda" I see the need for this as part of
the larger process of re-engaging with the overall WSIS/"Information
Society" (IS) agenda coming out of the WSIS summits and going into WSIS +10.
If anything our efforts would be most usefully focused in that direction as
I believe, based on my experience at the WSIS + 10 forum in Paris in
February that there is a very strong move afoot in certain quarters to
ensure that the broader IS issues including a review/assessment of what has
been accomplished in the WSIS agenda to date, what has not been
accomplished, and what new elements should be added to that agenda for the
next period, are sidelined in favour of what I called in my commentary on
that event
<https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/making-happytalk-in-paris-disneyl
and-and-the-wsis-10-review/> , "happy talk" about the benefits that have
been achieved and the associated benefits yet to be realized.

Mike