[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

Gene Kimmelman genekimmelman at gmail.com
Sun May 12 10:52:41 EDT 2013

Having been involved in a number of the discussions about what the language in a short letter (that everyone seemed  rushed to put together), I feel quite confident saying that the ENTIRE conversation and focus was about the WTPF, and NOT at all about the ultimate powers or actions of the ITU in the long run (others, please correct me if I'm wrong on that point!).  So I believe Parminder is correct to read this as a limited set of demands from CSOs entirely related to the issues raised in the Secretary General's report and Opinions submitted to the WTPF.  I take comfort in the reference to the November Best Bits statement and human rights language to preserve other fights for the future.

On the question of "development agenda," I also believe we need more of a coordinated civil society push very soon; maybe we should have considered something stronger in this letter, but at this late date I don't think it would be practical to open that up.  But I, for one, would certainly commit to pushing deeper development issues/engagement going forward