[bestbits] Report on Best Bits meeting at UNESCO WSIS plus 10 Paris February 2013

Josh Levy jlevy at freepress.net
Sun Mar 3 09:54:26 EST 2013

Hi Parminder and all -

Free Press, the World Wide Web Foundation and a few other groups (including Andrew and Global Partners) have been discussing this "Web We Want" idea for the last couple of months, and there's been a lot of enthusiasm for it. We absolutely see it as complementary to the good work being undertaken by the groups on these and other lists, as well as the Best Bits effort to forge consensus around policy objectives.

Right now, the vision of the Web We Want is to generate popular support for the many policy objectives we are all working toward, to link these objectives to a broader vision for human rights, and to direct resources to local fights in order to support the broad agenda of achieving an open Internet for all, without censorship or surveillance.

We are very much in the beginning stages of piecing this project together, and we would like to loop in anyone and everyone who's interested. Please let me know off-list if you'd like to set up a time to discuss this in more depth.

Thanks,
Josh Levy