[bestbits] 2-pager on NSA-related advocacy options and reform proposals

Kevin Bankston kbankston at cdt.org
Mon Jun 17 10:00:00 EDT 2013

Hi everyone--

We at CDT threw together for GNI this little two page document describing some advocacy options and reform proposals around the NSA revelations, and thought it was worth sharing here.  Obviously, we're very focused on transparency-related goals/options because we think that's where there is the most political will and the most opportunity for alliance with the companies to force meaningful action from Congress and the Executive Branch, followed by specific amendments to PATRIOT Section 215 (the provision being used to justify the court orders for all phone records).

Since the companies are acting under court orders and are gagged against saying anything, they have a very strong incentive to push--and to be seen as pushing--for more transparency and more ability to speak.  That's why one of my main priorities right now is to get the companies, who are somewhat at odds with each other on this issue right now (see e.g. http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/15/4432368/google-opts-out-of-fisa-disclosure-deal-made-by-facebook-and), to sit down together--with each other, and with a few representatives of civil society--to try and bang out a shared transparency agenda.  I will keep this group updated as that effort proceeds, but in the meantime, public advocacy asking the companies to work together to demand more transparency--with each other and with us, as a unified front--would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin S. Bankston
Senior Counsel and Free Expression Director
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I St NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20006
202.407.8834 direct