[bestbits] Delivery of International civil society letter to Congress to follow up from HRC statement

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Jun 13 11:19:29 EDT 2013

Dear all (copying WebWeWant and IRP to keep everyone in the same loop)

I had quick consult with Deborah Brown and while there are pros and cons
to delaying, it seems that strong sign-on from a large number of
organisations is very important. So I would also be happy for us go for
Monday unless there are strong suggestions to the contrary. It also
seems as if the exact delivery channel has not yet been figured out yet.
I think it would make sense for someone based in Washington DC to do the
handing over personally on our behalf. That would be FreePress, CDT,
HRW... correct?

For those who might not have it handy, the letter is being developed here:

http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/your_name_here

Discussion of the contents is taking place on bestbits at lists.bestbits.net

I suggest we let Jeremy Malcolm decide when and how to deal with the
final tidying up. Jeremy, you have lots of volunteers to help with that.

Best

Anriette

<parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

>> The statement has turned out well. However, I remain concerned about the
>> fact that the issue of non citizens related content surveillance has
not at
>> all been addressed by the US authorities. They havent bothered to say a
>> word on it (not that it is easily defensible).  I would like the group to
>> consider adding the following paragraph somewhere......
>>

>> "We are extremely disappointed that, in all the post 'disclosures'
>> statements, US authorities have only insisted that there was no access
>> obtained to content related to *US citizens*, and just their
>> communication meta-data was collected. There has not been  a word on the
>> issue of large-scale access to content related to non US citizens,
which is
>> a violation of their human rights. The focussing of the US authorities on
>> the difference between treatment of US citizens and non-citizens on an
>> issue which essentially relates to violation of human rights is very
>> problematic. Human rights are universal, and every government must
refrain
>> from violating them for all people, and not merely for its citizens. The
>> current and future US law and practices on this matter should take
note of
>> this. "
>>

>> I  still have issues with the role of the involved companies, which I
>> will address in a separate email. I am fine though to address them
>> separately, through a possible second statement.
>>
>> Meanwhile the second sentence in the following somehow looks not quite
>> right.
>>
>>  "The introduction of untargeted surveillance mechanisms at the heart of
>> global digital communications severely threatens human rights in the
>> digital age. *These new forms of decentralized power reflect fundamental
>> shifts in the structure of information systems in modern
societies**.*[3] and

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692