[bestbits] International civil society letter to Congress to follow up from HRC statement

joy joy at apc.org
Wed Jun 12 22:26:37 EDT 2013

thanks Joana ..
also +1 on the terminology - thanks Anja for raising it. Jeremy: I would
have thought that ["internet rights" are human rights] is an advantage,
rather than disadvantage, since "human rights" encompasses some of the
wider reasons why some at least work in this area (per Anja's comments).
Joy
On 13/06/2013 12:55 p.m., Joana Varon wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks a lot for all the efforts to reach a balance on all this.
>
> +1 about the points on the terminology raised by Anja, Anriette, Avri
and Jeremy

> +1 for Kevin suggestions on whistleblower
>
> +1 for the additions made by Cynthia on the requests to be made to US
Congress

> +1 about thinking in a more specific way to identify our organizations
(Will something like this be enough? "civil society organizations
focused on the implications of internet policies in the exercise of
fundamental human rights" ... dont know if "internet policies" is enough
though)

> Thanks Joy for the clarifications on NZ whistleblower.. looking
forward from APC news on what to do in a broader sense regarding this
complicated issue.

<mailto:avri at ella.com>> wrote:

>>     On 12 Jun 2013, at 15:25, Anja Kovacs wrote:
>>
>>>     I can see that in this particular statement, we would want to
think carefully about which concerns to highlight and how to frame them,
so as to provide as much support as possible to the current momentum.
But I do think there are certain non-negotiables if a wide sign up to
this statement is desired. For example, at last year's Best Bits
meeting, we already had a discussion on how few of us in the Global
South use the term "Internet freedom" to describe the work we do for a
whole range of highly political reasons and so I would think not using
that term is one such non-negotiable. As long as we take such issues
into account, I am sure a sound compromise can be reached that will make
for a strong statement acceptable to all.

>>     i think the term has become somewhat tainted by its use as a
US-referent  political meme.
>>     so finding another way to describe Freedoms of/on/via/by the
Internet might be a good idea.

>     +1.  I have been saying the same thing for a while
(https://twitter.com/qirtaiba/status/303409261923405824), but the PRISM
scandal has cemented this.  The Best Bits website says "Internet
governance and Internet rights".  Neither of those are perfect either.
The disadvantage of "Internet governance" is that a lot of people think
it means naming and numbering.  The disadvantage of "Internet rights" is
that (with a nod to APC) Internet rights are human rights.

>     --
>
>     *Dr Jeremy Malcolm
>     Senior Policy Officer
>     Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers*
>     Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
>     Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia

https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

<http://www.consumersinternational.org/> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational