[bestbits] International civil society letter to Congress to follow up from HRC statement

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Wed Jun 12 13:06:28 EDT 2013

I agree with Joana and Anriette that a reference to at least our own
concern and support for whistleblowers should stay in. Unless we want to
write a whole separate statement on that (which is perhaps worth
considering, seeing the USA's recent record on this count).

I also support the changes suggested by Joana which ensure we do no longer
address the USA as a "global leader on Internet freedom" while still
pointing out how the USA is hurting its own credibility with these
revelations. Neither do I consider the USA a leader in this field, nor does
the Internet Democracy Project associate with the term "Internet freedom"
to describe its field of work - and I think we might not be alone in this.

Many thanks to all who have been working on this.

Best,
Anja

--
Dr. Anja Kovacs