[bestbits] c.a.'s speech at 16th CSTD opening ceremony

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Jun 5 21:28:40 EDT 2013

Hi people,

I was invited by CSTD to participate in the opening ceremony of its 16th
Session on June 03. Below is what I said.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

====================

Commision on Science and Technology for Development,
Sixteenth session, Geneva, 3-7 June 2013
Opening Session

Speech by Carlos Afonso, Executive Director, Nupef Institute, Brazil

=======================================

Ambassador Miguel Palomino de la Gala, Chair of the CSTD; Dr. Supachai
Panitchpakdi, Secretary-General of UNCTAD; Dr. Hamadoun Touré,
Secretary-General of the ITU, in the name of whom I wish to salute all
present authorities; ladies and gentlemen:

I have been assigned the honorable task of speaking in the opening
ceremony of this Sixteenth Session of the UN CSTD as a member of a small
civil society organization, committed to proactively contribute to the
advance of ICTs for human development in my country.

I am also one of the founding members of a relevant pluralist initiative
in Internet governance in Brazil, created in 1995, when this concept was
not yet in our minds, the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee -- a
joint initiative of government, academia, industry and NGOs. More than
just a names and numbers assignment organization for Brazil's ".br" top
domain name, the Steering Committee has the mission to oversee or advise
on a broad range of issues related to the development and deployment of
the Internet in our country.

Since 2003, when a multistakeholder model of coordination was
consolidated, a majority of its 21 members is elected every three years
by civil society, the private sector, and the technical community. Our
Steering Committee has been a reference for several countries in
organizing multistakeholder processes of Internet governance.

In 2009 the Steering Committee managed to reach consensus around its 10
Principles for the Governance and Use of the Internet in Brazil. Its
publication has since been used as a reference in many foruns around the
world, and was the starting point of a challenging proposal: a new bill
of law setting a Framework of Civil Rights for the Internet in Brazil,
known in Portuguese as the "Marco Civil da Internet". Marco Civil was
elaborated during a long, 3-year process of open, highly participatory
consultations with all sectors, until a final version of the bill of law
was submitted to Congress last year.

We are now struggling to preserve the essential tenets of Marco Civil as
it is processed through Congress, against the heavy lobby of the
telecommunications industry (which strongly opposes net neutrality) and
the main media companies (which insist on facilities for takedown of
content without due process of law, as well as imposing undue
accountability on intermediaries).

In short, these are more or less the same disputes we see in most
countries, including the largest developed democracies. A strong
indication of these and other challenges to a free and open Internet was
the recent appeal, four days ago, of Neelie Kroes, the Vice-President of
the European Commission responsible for the Digital Agenda, which, along
with the defense of an European single market for telecommunications,
stresses the fundamental importance of guaranteeing net neutrality,
among other fundamental rights.

As the ITU-Unesco broadband commission stated in its 2012 report, "to
date, the rapid, substantial growth in broadband has not translated into
significant increases in Internet access in least developed countries
(LDCs), where only 6 per cent of inhabitants had access as of 2011. This
[percentage] is expected to more than double by 2015, but by then, the
absolute gap with higher income countries is likely to grow even
larger." And Susan Crawford makes a very strong case for the
universalization of bidirectional high-speed broadband (for both upload
and download) in every home and office, in her recent book "Captive
Audience."

True bidirectional high-speed, this is true broadband, with the
guarantee of net neutrality and protection of other basic human rights
for the end user.

As I said in the opening ceremony at the IGF in Baku, the absence of
gatekeepers and the open, global communication enabled by the Internet
is crucial to carry out the promise of Article 19 of the UN Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.

To impose restrictions to the free flow of information is and has always
been contrary to the individual human right to freedom of expression. We
ought to preserve and enhance fundamental communication rights as
synthesized in the Final Statement of the First WSIS+10 Review event
held last February at Unesco Headquarters in Paris.

As the Brazilian experience in pluralist governance exemplifies, any
upcoming institutional arrangement for the governance of the Internet
should never be restricted to just multilateral structures -- we may
need new governance mechanisms, but these must emphasize full
participation of all sectors from policy conception to decision-making.
Let us hope that the current CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation
sheds a brilliant light on the path to the proper ways of effective
international collaboration.

Let the Internet continue to flourish freely to the benefit of those who
live at its edges, which are all of us. Thank you.