[bestbits] Request for NGO partners for seminar course on digital media rights, etc.

Becky Lentz, Dr. roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 5 10:52:00 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

Greetings from Montreal!

I¹m writing to ask if any Best-Bits subscribing NGOs (preferably those based
in non-OECD countries located in Africa, Asia, or Latin America seeking to
expand digital media rights policies) would like to consider being
considered as Œresearch seminar clients¹ for a Fall 2013 course I¹m teaching
on Œadvanced issues in media governance¹.

What we would offer is an opportunity for the selected partner NGOs to have
a small 3-4 person research team for a semester to prepare a Œpolicy brief¹
related to a digital media rights policy issue the NGO is working on. In
other words, participating NGOs would essentially get free research
assistance on a policy issue for which they need a policy brief by
mid-December. The benefit to my students (mostly in development studies and
political science) would be grounded experience with a Œreal¹ client and
thus an opportunity to learn and also provide a civil society benefit.

NGO participation would involve being available for about 3 Skype-based
interviews in September-October, with students assigned to your
organization. Participation would also involve delegating someone in your
organization to read and provide feedback on a preliminary draft of the
policy brief in mid-November. Finally, your NGO would be asked to fill out a
brief survey based on the experience in early December.  The policy brief
would be available for you to use and hopefully post to your organization¹s
website by mid-December.

Please email me at becky.lentz at mcgill.ca if you would like to be considered
for this partnership opportunity starting in September.

Best,
Becky Lentz
--------
Becky Lentz, PhD
Assistant Professor in Communication Studies
Department of Art History and Communication Studies
McGill University
853 Sherbrooke Street West, Arts Building, W-265
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 0G5
514.398.4995