[bestbits] Best Bits steering group

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jul 8 03:16:28 EDT 2013

Best Bits came into being as a very loose, grassroots coalition, and
this has worked very well.  At the same time, it has now reached a point
of maturity (and influence) where the benefits of institutionalising it
a bit more strongly would probably outweigh the risks of doing so.

To this end, a few volunteers have come (or been prodded!) forward to
serve as an initial steering group.  Since we don't already have a
democratic procedure for selecting such a steering group, we haven't
tried to invent one.  Rather, it will be the steering group itself that
is responsible for recommending such a procedure for the rest of us to
adopt.

So, inevitably arbitrarily, the initial group will include myself and
Andrew Puddephatt (for continuity, since we have been loosely
coordinating to date), and to fill out the geographical balance Anja
Kovacs, Deborah Brown, Joana Varon and Nnenna Nwakanma.

The initial steering group will be responsible for recommending a
process for making future such appointments, will distribute the few
organisational tasks between themselves, may come up with some ideas on
strategy and fundraising for the rest of us to consider, and can help
mediate disputes if there are any.

So please let's thank them for coming forward and volunteering their
time.  Equally, thanks to everyone else who has contributed, and who
continues to do so - your help is also greatly valued.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational