[bestbits] Practical Impact of NSA/Surveillance on Human Rights Orgs

Shawna Finnegan shawna at apc.org
Thu Jul 18 13:28:27 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have been following this list for some time, but I don't think I
have introduced myself - I work with APC's Internet Rights programme.

Thanks for raising this point, Ben. I have also seen limited
discussion looking particularly at the impact NSA surveillance on
human rights defenders and activists.

Alfredo Lopez from May First/People Link has been writing about the
impact of PRISM surveillance on activists, and the importance of FLOSS
for activists to protect data:
http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/1842

APC wrote an issue paper on F/A online last year, which includes
discussion of the impact of surveillance on organising:
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/freedom-peaceful-assembly-and-freedom-association

And there are of course activists in many countries, such as
Azerbaijan, who have felt the impact of government surveillance long
before PRISM, and who have adopted a number of strategies to protect
themselves:
http://www.genderit.org/articles/azerbaijan-when-online-security-synonymous-personal-safety

I am interested to read others' experiences, and personal practices
for avoiding surveillance. Did these recent revelations convince
anyone to abandon gmail, for example?

Cheers,

Shawna