[bestbits] FW: BB/ Brazil summit input - expression of interest

Lorena Jaume-Palasi lorena at collaboratory.de
Mon Dec 2 17:54:08 EST 2013

Hello all,

Specifically, about principles, you might be aware that the resolution
> named The right to privacy in the digital age, proposed by Brazil and
> Germany, is being voted *today *at the UNGA and will pass with consensus.
> Text is here:
> http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/C.3/68/L.45/Rev.1
> Deborah is in the plenary and might have more details. Its a starting
> point. Also, in partnership with EFF, Privacy International, Human Rights
> Watch , etc we are launching a campaign for gathering more support for the
> principles on necessary and proportionate and I see it as also a way to go
> forward. Taking into account the experiences of the Swedish government to
> implement them.
>
> Please not that exceptions are the aspects that shape the rules. The
following paragraph
Noting that while concerns about public security may justify the gathering
and protection of certain sensitive information,
States must ensure full compliance with their obligations under
international human rights law,

neutralizes the principles stated before. I.e. the question of intelligence
agencies and its limits remains unadressed. If you want to adress the
limits of cyber-intelligence and espionage (there is no international
juridical corpus doing this yet) I would suggest to make a specific
proposal in the style of the Hague and Geneva Conventions.
Best regards,
Lorena Jaume-Palasí

> Joana Varon Ferraz
> @joana_varon
> PGP 0x016B8E73

Lorena Jaume-Palasí, M.A. * Coordinator of the Global Internet Governance
(GIG) Ohu
 Internet & Gesellschaft Co:llaboratory e.V.
www.collaboratory.de *
Newsletter<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=collaboratory&loc=de_DE>
 * Facebook <http://goo.gl/eJVZn> * Twitter <http://goo.gl/sUFM5> *
<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>Youtube<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>