[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 17:13:24 EST 2013

Adam: I don't know what impact you hope to achieve, but suspect if adopted
some of our best would excluded.

Ah, but isn't that precisely what the current criteria are meant to
achieve...

Adam: Civil society experts often join government delegations, whether ITU
or regional organizations on ICT, development, human rights, trade, etc.

And at least this one would help ensure that the quite tangible risk of
covert action in support of the position of one government or another would
be in part ameliorated or at least the perception of that possibility.

Surely that would strengthen the position of CS overall although perhaps
causing some mild perturbations in the current narrow ranks of those with an
active CS IG involvement.  I would have thought that we i.e. CS should be
pursuing the broadest possible involvement of CS in IG activities given the
overall significance of IG for the future of the Internet etc. and ensuring
that we came into the IG space with overtly "clean hands" would I would
think be a plus for many potential allies.