[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Dec 25 08:32:14 EST 2013

Hi Michael,

On Dec 25, 2013, at 12:05 PM, michael gurstein wrote:

> I must admit that I find the criteria being bandied about here re: selection for CS representation to be quite bizarre… (sorry I’m not exactly sure where this particular list came from but it has been bandied about by the various CS honchos in one form or another over the last few days…

Snip

> Since we are tossing around criteria how about a few more that might actually have a substantive impact on the effectiveness of CS in representing CS interests…
>
> 1.     No participation in CS representation by individuals who have been part of government delegations for the last five years

Excluding can be problematic unless very targeted.  Civil society experts often join government delegations, whether ITU or regional organizations on ICT, development, human rights, trade, etc.  I don't know what impact you hope to achieve, but suspect if adopted some of our best would excluded.

Adam