[bestbits] Input into Brazil summit

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Dec 18 02:51:10 EST 2013

On 14/12/13 02:30, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:

> On reflection and discussing with the team here at GPD we thought the
> sensible next step was as follows.  Taking the submissions we have
> there are four steps we plan to take:
>
> 1.        Analysing and summarising what people say about the case for
> reform
>
> 2.       Developing a set of principles for the system of IG
> governance that would produce outcomes supportive of human rights and
> social justice (e.g. transparency, participation, inclusion, human
> rights promoting etc)
>
> 3.       Mapping/critiquing proposals for reform against these IG
> principles, grouping them if possible and setting out a risk/benefit
> analysis of the various ideas
>
> 4.       Putting together those combination of reform proposals that
> best fit the principles and submitting them for collective discussion.
>
> I’d like to get your thoughts on this as a way forward.  We plan to
> undertake exercise at our end and send round our findings as soon as
> we can.  That will help define for us the areas of work that we’d be
> interested in pursuing.

This sounds very good.  Whilst fully agreeing that individuals should
write and submit their own inputs, I'm also very hopeful that there will
be enough collaboration on this that we can agree to post it to the BB
platform for endorsement once finished.  This can create a powerful
counterpart to what the HLLM will be submitting, with its very
problematic membership and murky process.

My only suggestion in terms of the process of finalising this work is
that you (also) seek feedback on it on the summit at lists.bestbits.net
list, which we established for those who asked for a more private shared
working space to discuss inputs into the summit.  This doesn't of course
prevent others from using the main list, or private email to you,
depending on what they are comfortable with.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.