(part 2) [governance] [bestbits] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Dec 12 10:28:58 EST 2013

+1
________________________________
From: bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net [bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net] on behalf of Adam Peake [ajp at glocom.ac.jp]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:15 AM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; George Sadowsky
Cc: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net Bits
Subject: Re: (part 2) [governance] [bestbits] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

carrying on from my last email, sorry for the length...

Brazil is a wonderful opportunity, so here are some ideas about how I think it could proceed.

Purpose.  A two-day meeting to discuss a limited number of IG issues/challenges.  Address how to resolve those issues by creating a number of working groups which will report back to the 2015 IGF in Brazil. The Brazil meeting to charter each working group, charters can be reviewed and if necessary finalized at the 2014 IGF in Istanbul (IGF consultation in May can also be used.)  IGF Istanbul and opportunity to check on progress, tweak, and set the WG off to report back the following year (opportunity for review during the typical February and May IGF sessions of 2015.)

The IGF is an established global process with some participation from all stakeholders. Participation must be improved, but it is the best we have for interested parties to discuss as peers.

Brazil is an opportunity to strengthen the IGF, make it more relevant, more useful. And at the same time give the Brazil meeting a means to be more than just another two days of talk.

Themes.  Importance of Bali IGF as a starting point for identifying themes. The Brazil "summit" was an important topic referred to repeatedly during sessions in Bali.  The Montevideo Statement attracted almost as much interest and support.

Bali's been the only opportunity we've had to hear a broad spectrum of views on the proposal to meet in Brazil, the only significant gathering of different stakeholders where that meeting and why it was called has been discussed. There were rich discussions in Bali, they are worth building on, we aren't staring from nothing. The chair's summary attempts to cover some topics <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/Chair's%20Summary%20IGF%202013%20Final.Nov1v1.pdf>, the transcripts provide a full record <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-2013-transcripts>

A few things I think there's some agreement on:
- The Brazil meeting should focus on dialogue, not in itself be a decision making event.
- Widespread support for the IGF: the Brazil meeting should not in anyway replace/undermine the IGF (and nor should 1net.)
- Widespread support for the five principles President Rousseff proposed to the UN general assembly (they inspired Fadi Chehadé to meet her and to call for the meeting).
- The Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet Cooperation is widely supported (also by Brazil govt representatives during the IGF.)
- The multi-stakeholder approach must be strengthened; there is concern about a coming period of multilateral processes.
- Condemnation of surveillance.
- Agreement that global principles protecting human rights online should be developed and adopted (a close fit with President Rousseff's principles, and also Marco Civil -- the still draft Brazilian bill of online rights.)

More recently the Brazil Steering committee announcement <http://www.nic.br/imprensa/releases/2013/rl-2013-62.htm> refers to President Rousseff's UN speech and to the Montevideo Statement and says of the meeting it should "pursue consensus about universally accepted governance principles and to improve their institutional framework."

I suggest the meeting should focus on universal governance principles (Rousseff) and institutional framework (Montevideo, and noting that parts of statement are complementary with Rousseff's principles.)

I think we can take it that "institutional framework" refers to IANA and ICANN, the original themes of Internet governance. Gives seven main discussion themes for the meeting:

President Rousseff (speech to the UN General Assembly), principles and norms to help guide the international operation of the Internet:

1. Freedom of expression, privacy of the individual and respect for human rights.
2. Open, multilateral and democratic governance, carried out with transparency by stimulating collective creativity and the participation of society, governments and the private sector.
3. Universality that ensures the social and human development and the construction of inclusive and non-discriminatory societies.
4. Cultural diversity, without the imposition of beliefs, customs and values.
5. Neutrality of the network, guided only by technical and ethical criteria, rendering it inadmissible to restrict it for political, commercial, religious or any other purposes.

Original issues of Internet governance and from the Montevideo Statement:

6 & 7. The globalization of ICANN and IANA functions, towards an environment in which all stakeholders, including all governments, participate on an equal footing, i.e. development of new institutional framework.

These fall into five main areas:

(1) Good work's done on Internet governance principles and cooperation in many organizations and fora, these were well presented in Bali. Bring the different actors together for Brazil, invite them to join a working group and collectively develop a set of principles for global governance, tasks completed by IGF 2015. To address aspects of Rousseff 1-4 and parts of the Montevideo Statement.

(2) Global principles for protecting Human Rights online. Work's been done by various parties, from the UN Rapporteur to more recently a group leading international authors, and a collection of U.S. Internet companies.  In Bali the Swedish Government presented seven fundamental principles that should apply to maintain respect for human rights when carrying out surveillance of electronic communications -- these were strongly supported, they refer to legality, legitimate aim, necessity and adequacy, proportionality, judicial authority, transparency, and public oversight. And of course there's much more.  Brazil is an opportunity to bring these parties together, hear their ideas and set the tasks for a working group to develop appropriate and working principles.

It is not hard to imagine working groups on these themes producing adoptable outcomes.

(3) President Rousseff's fifth topic, Network Neutrality, might be harder to reach consensus on.  But that doesn't mean discussion of different approaches to network neutrality would not be valuable (e.g. proposed regulation in Europe, actual situations elsewhere, the IGF net neutrality coalition reported in Bali, greater consideration of what network neutrality means in developing markets, particularly mobile). If a working group was unable to reach definite recommendations, one still might be established with the task of providing model frameworks, an overview of different approaches and critiques of them.

(4) Institutional Framework for the IANA function. Internet tech community has been making recommendations since 2006, RIRs made proposals for an independent IANA function during the last re-bid of the contract. Civil society actors have made proposals and have strong opinions... so do governments.  A multi-stakeholder discussion of IANA, root zone database and Verisign's contract with NTIA, the root operators and whether their work needs more oversight, this is a discussion I think needs to happen.  Give a working group 18 months to develop a new institutional framework.

(5) Globalization of ICANN. What would an independent ICANN look like? How would an independent ICANN be globally accountable? An affirmation of commitments between ICANN and us not U.S.  From oversight by one government to no government, or oversight by all?  What kind of host country agreement, what protections?  And many more questions. A working group might monitor the Accountability and Transparency Review Team process and provide advice on ICANN's internal processes, while also propose new models for independence.

18 months to get an international framework for IANA into acceptable shape, for principles on good governance and human rights, for some dialogue that may or may not shape some domestic policy on net neutrality, to provide models for an independent ICANN.

Between now and April 2014 various actors invited to make proposals, papers to help shape discussion, and provide ideas as to charters for the working groups. The Brazil meeting discusses issues, the charters and tasks of working groups, sets ground rules for there operation (multi-stakeholder, transparency, etc).

September 2014, IGF in Istanbul can be used to review progress, perhaps recommend changes. Not hard to imagine a role for the high-level/ministerial pre-meeting.  Tasks to be complete by IGF of 2015 back in Brazil. The IGF offers check-points along the way: first in May 2014 when the MAG typically meets to finalize the agenda for the year, and two meetings in 2015. The IGF is our only substantive multi-stakeholder process, it's known, it can be a means to carry work forward, so use it. And make the Brazil meeting more than talk.

Adam