[bestbits] Call for expressions of interest: 1net steering committee

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Dec 5 09:15:57 EST 2013

Thanks Jeremy,

On Dec 5, 2013, at 10:45 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On 5 Dec 2013, at 3:40 pm, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for this - I will forward this nomination assuming that Michael doesn't intend to participate in the selection process on behalf of his community informatics network.
>>
>> Are you speaking for yourself, bestbits steering committee, the CS coalition?
>>
>> A little uncomfortable with the process here.
>
> I was speaking as the Best Bits liaison with the civil society "coordination group" (to use Bill's nice name for it), to confirm that I am passing names to that group for its consideration.  And yes, we all know the process is lacking and are scrambling to put a better one together for next time...

OK, didn't know there was a formal bestbits liaison role to do this kind of thing.  But things have to get done, so thanks for doing.

Couple of hours ago I got an email from Diplo "Civil Society nominees for 1Net Steering Committee" for "a very short self-nomination period, until 1200 noon UTC 7 December".  Diplo's also part of the coalition, do they agree with the betsbits/IGC position on the Brazilian CS reps?

Anyway, as we now seem to have two slots to fill on the 1net steering committee, perhaps a little more time to receive expressions of interest, something a little less ad hoc?

Adam

>> Five 1net steering committee members.
>>
>> Are you suggesting civil society should not be represented on the other two committees?
>
> Absolutely should, but we're taking them one at a time.  1net is the next cab off the rank, and the other two committees come after that.  CGI.br hasn't yet given us a firm deadline for the other committee nominations, whereas we do have one for 1net.

Makes sense.  Not clear if there's been a call from the Brazil side to populate these committees and with how many.

Adam