[IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Position by IT for Change and some other NGOs on enhanced cooperation

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Aug 31 16:34:56 EDT 2013

not sure I am as pessimistic about this as both of you. There are plenty of
examples in history where international agreements have regulated matters
where countries have agreed, for the greater good, to regulate or stop
previous actions. The Geneva Convention is one example, outlawing of poison
gases after WW1 (worked for a while) is another.

I am sure also that regularly in trade treaties countries give up certain
actions in return for other advantages.

In the case of the Internet, it may well be that an open available trusted
global network - which can only be achieved if espionage is contained - is
the greater good that leads to a decent regulatory regime.

Ian Peter