[bestbits] Programme for Best Bits annual meeting

joy joy at apc.org
Wed Aug 21 21:52:54 EDT 2013

Hi all - just wanting to add some thoughts on the agenda and thanks for
preparing a draft Jeremy
Copying the original agenda back in for ease of reference:
*Day 1*

1) Best Bits itself: goals, structure, processes, fundraising,
interactions with other groups, etc. The interim steering group is
working on a documents with our brainstorming about all this, which we
will share soon.  The purpose of this session is to reach a consensus
that we are heading in the right direction (or not), and to provide a
mandate to carry out proposals that will help us grow and become
stronger and more sustainable.

2) Global Internet governance principles and Enhanced Cooperation.  As
you know, there are groups at the IGF MAG and the CSTD discussing these
issues, but until now there has been no strong unified civil society
position about the evolution of Internet governance arrangements, and
this equivocation has played into the wrong hands.  We have been largely
split between groups that are averse to any changes, and those with
proposals for changes that are seen as radical.  The purpose of this
session (as I see it, anyway) is to get together behind a shared
position that can become a solid base for advocacy.  We already have a
working group arguing over these issues (in a good way), which will
report back to this main list soon.

JL: it would be a shame if the only focus of this session was the for
and against debate about current arrangements. There are other pressing
internet governance issues including for developing countries access and
national internet governance processes, capacity building and best
practice among others. can some time be made for these as well?

*Day 2*
JL: I agree we should not be ITU-centric. Can we include a brief
clearinghouse session (perhaps we can start a thread on it before the
meeting) looking at the range of other forums which might be relevant
for inputs - to help ensure that wider focus
The surveillance session: i agree it should be a key focus and would
emphasise to look at the implications of trends in the range of invasive
and threatening actions being taken by diverse governments and then at
the strategies for civil society to respond. I know for example, that
many civil society groups which are leading on secure online
communciations training for human rights defenders are doing some deep
thinking about how to respond to surveillance at a practical not only
policy level.

Finally, should there be a session focused on IGF itself: the programme,
side events and so on and sharing if there are any particular sessions
or workshops that Best Bits feels strongly should have focus or which
would be strategically important to have input to.

thanks

Joy
On 14/08/2013 2:16 a.m., Anne Jellema wrote:
> This is great, Parminder. I leave it to others to comment on whether it should be the sole focus of
CSO discussions at Bali, or one strand among others - but it is
definitely something that Best Bits and Web We Want could plan together,
as it's an excellent fit with the Web We Want mission of consolidating
and promoting a positive vision for the future of the open Web.

<mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:

>     Thanks to the steering committee for this great start....
>
>     I havent much to say about day 1. Maybe a few things, but that
later...

>     Abut day 2
>
>     I think we would do well if we try not to look very ITU centric (
and I can assure, we do)... Last year was different with the WCIT in the
offing, but this year I dont see why a session should focus on ITU.

>     As to saying that Snowden or NSA revelations can become a sub item
of this ITU discussion, quite the opposite is what I think would be in
order..

>     Lets be honest, and do justice to the people of the world in whose
name we assemble, work and expend monies.... Internet governance to the
world right now is completely focussed on the Snowden affair. Not only
among the laity, but even the politically well informed and articulate.

>     It is bad enough that the IGF wont largely be about NSA
revelations (even to the extent that Kenya IGF was about the India's
CIRP proposal) although I will be happy to be pleasantly surprised. But
I cant see how a civil society meeting can afford to be not about it.
This is my basic proposition..

>     I think we need to have a session on something very roughly like
the 'The global Internet after Snowden - What will balkanise the
Internet and what can keep it sufficiently global' - and if possible
come out with a statement about it.

>     At the time of formation of BB, we had promised ourselves a
positive agenda , and flogging ITU over a day once again is not what I
think takes us towards that. (Disclaimer: I have long held that the ITU
is not the right place for most global IG work.)

>     People are interested to know in which directions would post
Snowden global Internet go. And we should discuss this.

>     Lets cut the chaff and go directly to what is/ are the issue(s) of
global governance of the Internet today. For instance - what are the
global ethics, norms, principles and legal frameworks for trans-border
flow of data, information and digital services? Who should develop (
ensure their compliance) and how?

>     And wh- at is the meaning of ownership of our digital lives, and
how statist and corporatist controls play with such rightful ownership.

>     That is what people right now most want to know... Do we have
anything to say to them, and perhaps say on the behalf of them?

>     parminder
>

>     On Saturday 10 August 2013 09:06 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>>     Since the good news that the 2013 IGF will be going ahead after
all, it's time to revise and finalise the programme for our annual
meeting in Bali.  The interim steering group has been talking about
this, and here was their suggestion for topics (the descriptions are
mine though):

>>     *Day 1*
>>
>>     1) Best Bits itself: goals, structure, processes, fundraising,
interactions with other groups, etc. The interim steering group is
working on a documents with our brainstorming about all this, which we
will share soon.  The purpose of this session is to reach a consensus
that we are heading in the right direction (or not), and to provide a
mandate to carry out proposals that will help us grow and become
stronger and more sustainable.

>>     2) Global Internet governance principles and Enhanced
Cooperation.  As you know, there are groups at the IGF MAG and the CSTD
discussing these issues, but until now there has been no strong unified
civil society position about the evolution of Internet governance
arrangements, and this equivocation has played into the wrong hands.  We
have been largely split between groups that are averse to any changes,
and those with proposals for changes that are seen as radical.  The
purpose of this session (as I see it, anyway) is to get together behind
a shared position that can become a solid base for advocacy.  We already
have a working group arguing over these issues (in a good way), which
will report back to this main list soon.

>>     *Day 2*
>>
>>     3) The ITU processes, up to the ITU Plenipotentiary in 2014 and
the WSIS+10 review.  What is coming up?  What is our long term
strategy?  Have we responded adequately to the ITU's most recent refusal
to open up the Council Working Group on Internet Policy to
stakeholders?  If we still don't see change at the Plenipotentiary, what
then - do we disengage?

>>     4) The NSA surveillance issue may become a sub-item of the ITU
discussion, given that there are countries that may bring this debate to
the ITU. But it will also include an update on the Human Rights Council,
stateside developments, how this has altered the Internet governance
landscape in the long term, and general strategy going forward.

>>     There's also a lot of other work to be done between now and then,
including work on the website (so that you can actually register for the
meeting!) and on fundraising (to help pay for it).  I'll be posting more
about that very soon.

>>     Meanwhile your comments are invited on the programme...
>>
>>     --
>>
>>     *Dr Jeremy Malcolm
>>     Senior Policy Officer
>>     Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers*
>>     Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
>>     Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia
>>     Tel: +60 3 7726 1599 <tel:%2B60%203%207726%201599>
>>
>>     Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement
knowledge hub |
http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>