[bestbits] Pakistan: Ministry of IT Pursues Filtration Again

Sana Saleem sana at bolobhi.org
Wed Aug 21 14:43:33 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Many of you have been of great support during our campaign to get Ministry
of IT to shelve their plans for a National Level URL Filtration & Blocking
System that was announced in February last year, through your consistent
support and pressure we were able to get the ministry to shelve the plan
last year.

However, as we feared and as now indicated through multiple media
statements, the ministry is pursuing their plans and have in fact now
indicated that the filters will be provided through an ISP for "free for
one year".

As partners and supporters of campaigns run by Civil Society in Pakistan,
we are sending out this note to keep you updated on the situation. We've
issued a detailed statement regarding the issue alongside extensive
resources that we have been producing, including submissions to court in
the YouTube case in which our director is Amicus Curiae

Here's the link to our statement:
http://bolobhi.org/press-releases/minstry-of-it-no-to-internet-filters-censorship/

The successful campaign last year which is now being disregarded :
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/11/26/the_fp_100_global_thinkers?page=0,58#thinker100
 <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/11/26/the_fp_100_global_thinkers?page=0,58#thinker100>
Submissions to court:
 http://bolobhi.org/press-releases/minstry-of-it-no-to-internet-filters-censorship/