[bestbits] Important new joint submission to CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 19 00:44:21 EDT 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013 09:46 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> All Best Bits participants are now invited to finalise a joint
> submission to the CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation, which we
> are to submit by the end of August.  This will be a very important
> submission in its own right, and also a key preparatory document to
> three upcoming Best Bits meetings - our APrIGF workshop in Seoul
> <http://2013.rigf.asia/workshop-proposal-7/>, Day 1 of our Best Bits
> meeting in Bali <http://bestbits.net/bestbits2013/>, and one of our
> two workshops at the global IGF
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2013/workshop_2013_accomplish_list_view.php?xpsltipq_je=36>.
>
> Its importance is that it addresses a question, unresolved for the
> last eight years, about how global Internet governance (in the broad
> sense that goes beyond technical issues) should evolve in response to
> states claims of sovereignty over public policy issues relating to the
> Internet.

Jeremy, thanks for this important wprk... But I must add that its
background cannot just be the "states claim to sovereignty over pubic
policy issues" but also the other process of fragmenting/ vaporising
Internet-related global policy spaces, largely into nothingness, and
alternatively privatising them, both to serve status quoist dominant
interests. Any proposal must appropriately and carefully navigate
between these two problems or considerations.... parminder