[bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Aug 14 08:09:18 EDT 2013

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> (yet unspecified, but Izumi is finding out) deadline for nominating
> panelists to the High Level Meeting.

I think so far we've been talking about who from civil society gets
invited as participants to the “High Level Meeting”.

It is of course also a highly relevant question who the speakers will
be, and how they will be selected.

I think that the selection of invitees as participants is the more
urgent issue since it affects air travel bookings for all who are not
already in Bali anyway for example for the BestBits meeting.

> Establishing (or re-establishing - we had one in WSIS) a high-level
> mechanism for civil society groups to jointly nominate candidates for
> positions is very important, I couldn't agree with you more.  But it's
> also ambitious.

Let's set the goal to put such a mechanism in place in time for the
2014 IGF.

> Noting that thanks to your leadership the IGC has a workshop relevant
> to this topic planned for Bali ("MS selection processes:
> accountability and transparency"), it would be better, I feel, to
> come up with a proposal and present it at that workshop.  I wouldn't
> want to rush it on account of what is probably a minimally important
> pre-event in Bali.

Good points.

Yes, rushing this is probably not a good idea. When rushing things,
inevitably some people who should have been included in the
discussions will unintentionally be left out, and feel left out, etc.
Building trust works better when things don't get rushed.

> However, if you disagree then by all means put your idea to the IGC
> then I can put it to the Best Bits interim steering group and we can
> reach out to the other relevant groups and networks too.  If it were
> me though, I would rather wait.

I have just written to Mr. Moedjiono suggesting an ad-hoc process in
which a broad call for expressions of interest would be made, and on
the basis of the responses both the Best Bits interim steering group and
the IGC coordinators would each suggest a list of civil society
delegates for the HLLM. The understanding would be that everyone
who is on either list of delegates gets invited (the size of the
selection lists would obviously be chosen on the basis of how many
people from civil society they're willing to invite), and there would
be just enough coordination between the two groups of coordinators to
ensure that the two recommendation lists are complementary (i.e. we
don't end up losing civil society slots just because some people get
two recommendations).

Greetings,
Norbert