[bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Wed Aug 14 01:44:08 EDT 2013

On Aug 13 16:47, Jeremy Malcolm (jeremy at ciroap.org) wrote:

> the Indonesian government is
> preparing a High Level Meeting ahead of the Bali IGF, on the topic
> "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles".
[...]
> If you have an active interest on this topic and would also like to be
> included in the slate of nominees, please let us know so that we can
> make sure you are included.

I (and Effi) have active interest and I'd like to be included.

On Aug 13 18:35, Norbert Bollow (nb at bollow.ch) wrote:

> I also think that we should set up a credible process for selecting
> civil society nominees for such events.

It would be nice, yes.

> While no civil society organization or network can credibly claim to be
> representative of civil society in its entirety, it IMO is not a good
> solution when various organizations and networks each submit a slate of
> nominees and then saddle the organizers with the problem of
> consolidating the lists.

True. In this particular case I expect exactly that will happen,
as I don't see how we could get a proper process in place in time.
We'll see how it works out.

> How about setting up a joint NomCom by inviting members of all the
> various civil society organizations and networks to volunteer for the
> NomCom

Just finding all civil society organizations is hard enough,
let alone getting them to agree... we'd need to get this NomCom
somehow officially blessed by the IGF or something.
But if we can get enough support for it, i.e., sufficiently
large number of CS organizations, it could work.

--
Tapani Tarvainen