[bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 14 00:09:06 EDT 2013

in addition to the below issues, we still do not know what the form of
the high level meeting is. Is it a real round table kind of forum where
people get an opportunity to wiegh in substantially or just a 'mix and
make connections' thing which corporates types may still love to do but
not many civil society kinds may to be too eager about.

Also, is their any drafting process for the likely statement to come out
of the HLM. That is crucial.

And, the IGF or non IGF status of the meeting?

I had asked for these clarifications on the IGC list from a civil
society member of the MAG, and await them.

My understanding is that initially is was a kind of a 'formal thing
without real substance', which was to attract high level participation
from governments, esp ministrial level. Kind of peoople who do not come
over just to sit in the audience at the IGF. And when ministers come,
their retinue of senior officials also come along, and that was supposed
to fill in a (really) missing gap at the IG, especially in terms of
governmental participation from developing countires. I will be cautious
to see this meeting take a character and big role for itself, which
could compromise the relatively participative nature of the IGF.
Especially of concern is the declaration that comes from this meeting,
which at present is the only real 'consumable' doc coming out the IGF
environment. So, maybe civil socity may want to think around these
issues as well.

parminder