[bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Aug 13 23:17:44 EDT 2013

On 14/08/13 00:44, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>>> How about setting up a joint NomCom by inviting members of all the
>>> various civil society organizations and networks to volunteer for
>>> the NomCom...
>> It is a very good plan for the future, but not something that could
>> be accomplished easily in two weeks.
> Where does that “two weeks” timeline come from?

Actually you're quite right, I'm mixing up the deadline for the CSTD
enhanced cooperation questionnaire (which is in two weeks) with the (yet
unspecified, but Izumi is finding out) deadline for nominating panelists
to the High Level Meeting. So maybe we have longer, but surely not much
longer.

Establishing (or re-establishing - we had one in WSIS) a high-level
mechanism for civil society groups to jointly nominate candidates for
positions is very important, I couldn't agree with you more.  But it's
also ambitious.

Noting that thanks to your leadership the IGC has a workshop relevant to
this topic planned for Bali ("MS selection processes: accountability and
transparency"), it would be better, I feel, to come up with a proposal
and present it at that workshop.  I wouldn't want to rush it on account
of what is probably a minimally important pre-event in Bali.

However, if you disagree then by all means put your idea to the IGC then
I can put it to the Best Bits interim steering group and we can reach
out to the other relevant groups and networks too.  If it were me
though, I would rather wait.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.