[bestbits] Programme for Best Bits annual meeting

matthew shears mshears at cdt.org
Tue Aug 13 05:21:00 EDT 2013

Jeremy, all

Many thanks for this and organizing the meeting.

Unless I've missed it in the mail trail, I would like to suggest an
additional output of the Bestbits meeting and that would be a statement
to the IGF, MAG, UNDESA, etc., that could be released on the second day
of Bestbits about the imperative of addressing funding consistency and
transparency and other issues related to the future of the IGF.

I agree that the the ITU and WSIS+10 should be a combined session.
Certainly CDT has been fully engaged on ITU matters over the past 12
months+ but it is now time to step back and assess where we collectively
are vis-a-vis the entirety of the governance/WSIS space.  We have been
thwarted on some fronts and had successes on others but it is time
perhaps to think more strategically about how we promote
multistakeholderism/governance without using up our limited resources
through attrition.  There is a trajectory through WTDC/WSIS HLM and
Plenipot, and we should consider where and how we can engage most
effectively and efficiently.

Matthew

--

Matthew Shears