[bestbits] UN Secretary-General on Surveillance and Human Rights

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Thu Aug 29 10:45:27 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I thought this statement from UN Secretary-General Ban might be of
interest.  http://www.un.org/sg/statements/index.asp?nid=7046

Some highlights below:

   - Surveillance without safeguards to protect the right to privacy
   hampers fundamental freedoms.
   - People should feel secure in the knowledge that their private
   communications are not being unduly or unjustly scrutinised by the State.
   - In far too many places, we see opposition and obstacles to freedoms.
   It could come in the form of costly law enforcement machinery to sanction
   or spy on those who speak out.
   - Those disclosing information on matters that have implications for
   human rights need to be protected.
   - I will continue to stress the importance of empowering women and
   girls. Societies cannot be free if half their citizens cannot pursue their
   full potential.
   - Bans on minarets and other restrictions drive wedges in society by
   targeting minorities and migrant communities.
   - Protecting freedom is not free. But curtailing freedom also carries a
   heavy price. When people do not have a means to channel grievances - when
   they are not allowed to speak out, protest peacefully or exercise their
   democratic rights, stability will suffer.
   - I tell leaders "If you do not listen to your people, you will hear
   from them - in the streets, in the squares, or most tragically on the
   battlefield.
   - Here in Europe ... I make a special plea for tolerance, understanding
   and acceptance of diversity and the rights of migrants and refugees.
   - Thanks to human rights activism across the globe, nearly 40 countries
   have decriminalized same-sex relations. ... I have sought to lead the way
   at the United Nations as a proud defender of LGBT equality.

Best,

Deborah

--
Deborah Brown