[bestbits] PCLOB deadline extended to September 15th

matthew shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Aug 7 12:01:53 EDT 2013

Dear all

Just to follow-on from Emma's last note.  Given the extension to
September 15th, we have been deliberating when to file the letter with
the PCLOB.  We could wait until the new deadline but fear that the
letter and its newsworthiness may be overcome by other events. Knowing
what is the best time to file is a little tricky, but those of us who
have been shepherding this along believe that despite the extension we
should file sooner than later.  We therefore propose that the letter be
filed with the PCLOB next week which gives us a little more time to get
additional signatures (we have been reaching out directly to
organisations that have not signed up) and to work the press both in the
US and internationally.   Our proposal is that we submit end-of-day
*Wednesday 14 August* while working media opportunities/placements
through the end of that week.   We propose leaving the letter on the
site and open to further sign-ons through September 15th - submitting
the letter next week does not preclude an update to PCLOB on the
letter's status.

So, for those organisations that wish to sign-on but haven't done so
please do.  And for those that have signed-on please go out to your
networks and see if your partner organisations will consider joining
this effort.  Sign-ons by Wednesday are preferable - but welcome anytime
through September 15.  If you have suggestions as to media and news
activities/connections please do let us know.

Letter is here: http://bestbits.net/pclob/

Many thanks for your support for this important letter.

Matthew

--

Matthew Shears
Director and Representative