[bestbits] Important new joint submission to CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Aug 26 19:03:50 EDT 2013

On 26/08/2013, at 9:13 PM, Marianne Franklin <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk> wrote:

> I would prefer that the whole phrase is rewritten; tyrannical is an emotive word. It has no place in this sort of advocacy.

With the humblest apologies, we are no longer in a position to be able to rewrite text, or we will miss the window for this submission.   The deadline for closing this statement was yesterday, and the phrase in question was open for discussion on this list for a week.  I'm struggling about what to do with the text that Matthew objected to last night, and have asked the steering committee for advice.  But in any case, that that text will either go in or out, inevitably displeasing one person or another - rather than being rewritten.

There will surely be some who can't live with the submission in its final form, so I'll be suggesting that they "fork" the submission and submit their own modified version.  There will be no other way of pleasing everyone, unfortunately.  I had thought we had allocated enough time to nut out these issues, with more than a month allocated for drafting (admittedly only a week on the main Best Bits list, and the balance on the EC list), but it seems these difficulties only ever come up at the very last minute.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.