[bestbits] WTPF participation and issues to watch

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Thu Apr 11 13:37:32 EDT 2013

Hi all,

As you're all probably aware, the World Telecommunication Policy Forum is
coming up on May 14-16.  To help kick-start a discussion about the topics
at WTPF, Access and CDT wrote up a short document (attached) identifying
some of of the key issues that come up in the Secretary General's report
and draft opinions. You may have received a similar note from Emily from
CDT on another list.  We expect a lot of discussion around:

   - Enhanced cooperation and multistakeholderism;
   - The role of the ITU in Internet governance and the scope of its
   mission;
   - The concept of end-to-end Quality of Service;
   - The importance of human rights in the context of discussions about ICT
   regulation and policy;
   - Strategies for increasing affordable Internet access for users around
   the world, particularly in developing countries;
   - The appropriate level of transparency and civil society participation
   in WTPF and other ITU activities.

We're interested to hear what you think, both about our analysis of these
topics and what your perspective is on key issues we didn't mention. What
are your "top five" important issues coming into WTPF, and what would you
like to see as an outcome?

We're also curious about who will be participating in WTPF, and how you're
planning to get involved.  We also put together a document about the
various options for civil society and individual participation (see
attached). Please note that the deadline to
apply<http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Documents/expression-of-interest.docx>
attend the WTPF as "public attendant" *12 April.*

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Best,
Deborah

-
Deborah Brown