Summary of ways to participate in Best Bits

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 16 06:46:41 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 16 October 2012 12:57 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

SNIP

>       o For the ITU statement, William Drake is facilitating it and is
>         proposing a text focusing on substantive issues, which will be
>         submitted to the ITU public comment process on 3 November.
>       o For the Internet governance principles, Wolfgang
>         Kleinwächter's current proposal is that we use the existing
>         text that APC and others worked on for the Council of Europe,
>         which is this one: http://www.apc.org/en/node/11199.

All,

I remain sceptical of how this exercise is going to be done and
concluded. for a long time I believed that we were looking at
substantive Internet principles but now I see we are only taking about
procedural principles for IG. First of all I think we need to do
substantive principles first, and the IRP document is the most
extensively worked on. Indeed there has been a discussion on this list
to use that as the base doc. I dont think we would be able to do a new
document of procedural principles on IG in this short time. There are
deep differences involved, as for instance the recent discussion on the
IGC list on democracy versus multistakeholderism showed. It will be
wrong to roadroller these differences and come up with a document in
this short while. To give you a feel of what I am talking about - I will
like to put democratic before multistakeholder in any procedural
document on IG - which btw is meant to cover local to national to global
levels. Do all agree to this proposition here? Also I will like to speak
about funding issues around IG institutions, and need for neutral public
funding for them. There are many such issues. I am happy to discuss
them, here and/or at the workshop. But lets not hurry with something in
the name of civil society.

On the other hand, if we just want to give a list of preachments to the
ITU on how should be conduct its business, I am game for it. That is
much more doable.

Jeremy, can we have a list of people on this elist, and those who are
now confirmed to attend the meeting. Thanks.

parminder