Two-question survey on agenda and outputs for Best Bits

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Oct 2 23:21:30 EDT 2012

On 02/10/12 22:46, William Drake wrote:
> Although I didn't quite take Norbert's point about the principles
> declaration not needing to be finished.  Again, we will be talking
> about principles in the Taking Stock main session.  We will be
> reviewing the various principles initiatives undertaken by IGOs etc.
> and linking these to the IGF and its future role. Trying to line up
> good government participants to draw their peers' attention.   I would
> have thought that a freshly produced statement from stakeholders would
> have provided a usefully complementary input, and way to bring the
> whole BB enterprise to wider attendees' attention.

Totally agree, but I think Norbert may have just meant that we have a
hard deadline for the ITU statement, since the public submissions will
close that very day.  For the IGF statement, we at least have a couple
more days up our sleeve if we need them.

> Potentially booting on the principles declaration in order to have yet
> another EC discussion on top of the full day after plus the EuroComm
> thing seems an odd choice to me, but if that's what folks want to do, ok.

It is important for everyone to understand EC to contextualise our work
on the principles, and not everyone will be attending the APC event the
following day.  But, by all means, we can shorten it a little in order
to give more time for the drafting.  Day 2 is very full now.  At present
(but this is open for comment), we have 3 hours for the drafting, and 3
hours for the background sessions that precede it.

To make this possible, I've reduced the lunch break, and reduced the
length of the "Next steps" session, and taken out the press conference.

This doesn't mean we won't have a press conference, but it makes sense
to move this to the course of the IGF itself.  The press will already be
there, and there will be a daily official press conference into which we
may be able to wrap our own (I'll enquire).  This will give our outputs
a lot more visibility, and will also provide a few days' breathing room
for finessing of the text - gathering signatures, proof-reading,
printing copies, etc.

So that's now reflected on the agenda at
http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/BestBits, though comments are always
welcome.  Who wants to help me in organising a press conference during
the IGF?

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission -- download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational