[bestbits] RE: [governance] Multi-stakeholder model, evolution and revolution

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:43:03 EST 2012

A very good framing of the issues, Jeremy and of the central challenge going
forward.

My overall sense is that this (email/mailing list) medium is rather more
amenable to critique than to construction .. for one thing because critique
as with email is something one does on one`s own, while the development of
constructive suggestions/direction is something that one does best with
others.

My thoughts going forward is that having to some degree settled on the
challenge it is now up to small groups of likeminded individuals to `gather`
to develop the suggestions that you are pointing to. Norbert has one such
possible focus on the table with his ECTF; there are the (extended) ICANN
etc. proponents`; there is the UN and then a UN+ option; there are the
``hands off the Internet`` proponents, who, now having made their case in
extremis need to do some serious backfilling if their position is to not
simply become one of ``no Internet governance except that which serves
my/our immediate interests`` the conceptual difficulties of which will be
handled by calling it anything other than Internet governance; there are
probably others and even cross-overs and overlaps among the above.

Perhaps a convening of smaller (virtual) groups around various conceptual
nodes with a target of reconvening at some later date--sooner rather than
later, might be a way forward.