[governance] IGC Submissions to UN Human Rights Council Feb 2020

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Aug 5 00:46:45 EDT 2019

Hi Sala,

I like this as a way forward, and note that on the draft of the other
proposed submission to Chinese government you have just included:

(1) The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is deeply
concerned by global trends of governments to abuse the "national
security" exception to trample on basic freedoms of expression
particularly when these freedoms are fundamentally linked to good
governance and keeping governments accountable.

(2) From Venezuela's treatment of Luis Carlos Diaz and numerous other
journalists, United States of America's treatment of Edward Snowden and
Julian Assange, France's mistreatment of Taha Bouhafs, a reporter at
French news website Là-bas Si J'y Suis, allegedly assaulted whilst
filming a protest of undocumented workers and now the recent sentencing
of Chinese webmaster and human rights activist Huang Qi to 12 years in
prison for allegedly leaking state secrets when he was promoting
accountability and transparency and good governance.

This is I think the beginnings of a good submission. To finalise it:

1. I think we need a comprehensive list of all the journalists and
activists in all countries who have been imprisoned or punished for
using the Internet to express basic freedom of expression issues which
should be a basic human right, not a grounds for imprisonment. There are
quite a few more names we can add,  and I am sure people on this list
can make suggestions.

2. We need to forcefully express the human rights obligations of
governments to not use excuses such as national security to undermine
basic freedom of expression. I know there are people here who can
express this better than I can, but a strong statement in support of
basic human rights for on line activists - with a comprehensive list of
individuals and countries who have denied them these rights - would be a
great thing to do, and I would be happy to work with others on such a
statement.

I suggest we drop the Huan Qi draft right now, and instead work on a
more comprehensive and inclusive statement as outlined and also
suggested by Norbert.

Ian