[governance] On WSIS+10 (was Re: Why?)

jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 20 13:11:44 EDT 2015

Bertrand

I partly agree with your views but the concluding question you raise lets me confused or,in plain french, sidéré :

Thus, in your opinion the WEF/IGF is given the capacity to address anthroplogic, cultural, social, societal, ethical and minorities' issues that are in the center of any "information society" ?

This opinion explains much better as any long discurse the "shift" of some "CS" groups in the WSIS process that Wolfgang is questioning (I think he has forgotten some of our "lively" debates in CS plenaries when Bill (Mc Iver) then Sally (Burch) chaired them).

regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 19/05/15 20:28
> De : "Bertrand de La Chapelle"
> A : "governance at lists.igcaucus.org" , "Michael Gurstein"
> Copie à : "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
> Objet : [governance] On WSIS+10 (was Re: Why?)

Michael,

I am not sure I see what you mean below by "working to undermine and diminish the significance of the WSIS+10"?

What surely could undermine the WSIS+10 process is that it will most likely be less open to non-state actors - and civil society in particular - than the WSIS itself 10 years ago. Unless things have changed, and according to the excellent summary by APC:

the review is going to be "a two-day high-level meeting of the General Assembly". The document will be prepared by "an intergovernmental negotiation process, which will include preparatory meetings, resulting in an intergovernmentally agreed outcome document, for adoption at the high-level meeting of the General Assembly".

For sure, modalities for consultation of relevant WSIS stakeholders are supposed to be put in place, but there is a big question mark in that regard at the moment, isn't it?

In that context, maybe the motto should be: the real WSIS+10 is the IGF 2015. Why don't we make it so?

Best

Bertrand

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes", Antoine de Saint Exupéry
> ("There is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")

Wolfgang, I must say that I find your statement below exceedingly odd in

Subject: [governance] Why?

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org